Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Halloween Happenings in my Classroom

Holidays are so fun when you are a preschool teacher. There are endless craft ideas, silly songs, and creative books. I'm eating it up.  This year in my class, my students did some of the same activities that my students did last year. But, I also added a few new ones.  Here are some of my favorite Halloween picks (and pics)!

Today, my students help cut a pumpkin open and then reached their arms in to scoop out the pumpkin goop. Then, they each drew their ideas for how we should carve the pumpkin. We picked one feature from every students' drawn jack-o-lanterns. 


This is what we ended up with!

All month we have been singing a spooky song about witches' brew. Stirring and stirring and stirring my breeeeewwwwwww. Stirring and stirring and stirring my breeeeeeewwwwwwwww. Tip toe, tip toe, tip toe....BOO!  We've talked about brew and the cauldron we would stir it in. We've brainstormed what we would add to our potions and discussed how this is all fictional, not factual. Today, we used the ingredients they suggested and made our own brew to stir! 

Ingredients? Assorted bugs, spider rings, lizards, one gold fish, one frog, two small pumpkins, witches' hair (some black stringy decoration I found), eye balls, and ghosts. Mix those disgusting tidbits with some cornstarch, water, and yellow and green paint and you get WITCHES' BREW! My students played I Spy in the cauldron, practiced scooping things up with the spoon and filling the small pumpkins, and talked about which items sink and which float. This one definitely exceeded my expectations. 

I saved my favorite for last. We sing a silly holiday song about five pumpkins on a gate that roll away. My students started asking questions about how the pumpkins would roll: Bumpy or smooth? Fast or slow? Does every pumpkin roll? So, we tested it out. First, we built ramps. Some steep, some with small inclines, some horizontal (not ramps), and some vertical. We roll small pumpkins down these ramps to answer our questions (and to unearth another slew of investigations)! Another teacher built upon my idea and offered my kids gourds to roll down. Some rolled and some didn't. We made guesses using what we already knew as to why this was true. So much fun!

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment