Sunday, April 19, 2015

Canvases on the Cheap

This summer, I'm running four weeks of full day elementary camp.  For twenty nine hour days for forty campers, there is a lot of preparation to make a fantastic camp. I've already started prepping. 
One of the activities I have planned is painting inspiration canvases with Dr. Seuss quotes. (Camp has a Book Wars theme.)
When I looked up the prices online, it just felt like a waste of camp resources to spent over a hundred dollars on canvases for this one activity. After some Pinteresting, I found this tutorial for making miniature doll house canvases. So I super-sized it!
Using white poster board, diaper boxes, muslin, a hot glue gun, an iron, and Gesso canvas primer, I made 40 canvases in a hour for a whopping total of $22.  I cut the poster board and diaper box to the size I wanted and then hot glued them together.  After stretching muslin around the cut box, I hot glued the fabric tightly to it.  I ironed the front of the makeshift canvas and then painted on the primer.  TADA!

They aren't quite on par with the ones you buy at the store but summer camp quality? Totally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment