Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Nanny Diaries

I love the family I babysit for. They are one of my favorite families I have ever met, with so much love and goodness that it just oozes. It is super important to me that their children (9 and 6) really enjoy their time with me every day. We hide-and-seek and hop from pillow to pillow in don't-touch-the-floor tag. We make up silly nick names and play Uno and Pictureka (my new favorite board game!). We paint, use goofy accents, and race obstacles courses on playgrounds. I love my time with them, and I want them to feel that.
Something new I have started doing with the six year old, who really wishes she had homework in Kindergarten, is retelling picture books. Now that she is a reader, she video tapes herself reading stories and we watch it.We talk a lot of about the books and practice retelling the stories with various voices and sometimes watch YouTube videos of the books being narrated. Its a lot of fun and she is super proud of herself when she watches it.
We added something new this time. We drew some of the illustrations in chalk outside and included them in the video she recorded. This is a page from my nanny diary that I am dog-earing for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment