Monday, September 15, 2014

Taping with my two

Z-man has been so excited for his cousin's birthday that he has been singing "Happy Birthday" to her for over a month now! The day before my niece's party, I pulled out the presents we had picked for her and sat down to quickly wrap them up. Z-man immediately stopped playing fire rescue and came over to see what I was doing. He sat down next to me and asked to help.
The to-do list inside of me was urging to me push him back towards the fire trucks and legos. The Mama Suerte inside of me inspired me to pump the breaks and focus on him. We turned this quick task into a half hour discussion about what we love about the birthday girl, the day she was born, and my great-grandmother who taught me how to wrap presents when I was little. He measured the wrapping paper, cut it with my help, and taped the wrapping paper all together. Z practiced fine motor skills, cooperation, and frustration tolerance (especially when the tape stuck to itself). Our wrapping adventure definitely made the gift giving more meaningful and boy, was he proud of himself when he was done.
I did not cross things off my to-do list as quickly as I had hoped that morning, but I made a mental note to always wrap presents with Z this way. He's just growing too fast to not slow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment